- 3/4 cup softened butter or room-temperature, softened refined coconut oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 cups all-purpose flour or Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free flour
- 2 tsps baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsps ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsps finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 tsps ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup additional granulated sugar, for rolling cookies
- 1 cup coconut manna, for dipping cookies
1. Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Line two large baking sheets with parch-ment paper and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, salt and black pepper. combine butter or coconut oil and sugar. Set aside.
3. In another bowl, combine butter or coconut oil and sugar. Using an electric mixer, beat for 2-3 minutes until you get a light, fluffy mixture and the sugar granules have gotten smaller. If using coconut oil, be careful not to beat for too long or the oil might melt. Add the egg and molasses and mix again until combined. Add the flour mixture gradually and mix well.
4. Using a cookie scoop, scoop 1-inch balls out of the mixture and and roll in sugar. Place at least 2 inches apart on the lined baking sheets.
5. Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until cookies lightly spring back when touched. Remove and cool completely on wire racks.
6. Dip cookies halfway into the coconut manna and allow excess to drip off. Place on parchment paper and let stand until set.