For the crust:
- 1/2 cup room temperature or solid virgin coconut oil
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1-2 tbsp cold water, if needed
For the filling:
- 10.5 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups coconut cream
- 1/2 cup plant milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp molasses (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 teaspoon ground cloves
- 5-6 gingerbread cookies
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils or cranberries
- 4-5 mint or rosemary leaves
- In a food processor, combine the coconut oil, flour, maple syrup or molasses, salt, and spices. Process until the dough sticks together when pressed between fingers. Add 1-2 tablespoons water if needed. The dough should be pliable but not sticky.
- Roll the dough out between two sheets of baking paper into a circle large enough to fit your tart pan. Carefully transfer the rolled-out dough to the tart pan, pressing it into the bottom and sides. Trim any excess dough. Prick the bottom of the crust with a fork to prevent it from puffing up during baking. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Bake the crust for 13-16 minutes, until the edges are lightly browned. Remove and cool.
- While the crust is chilling, you can make the filling. In a heatproof bowl, add the chopped dark chocolate and set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat the coconut cream, plant milk, maple syrup, molasses (if using) and spices over medium-low heat until it's hot but not boiling.
- Remove it from the heat once small bubbles start to form around the edges.
- Pour the hot coconut cream mixture over the chocolate. Let it sit for 2-3 minutes to soften the chocolate, then stir until smooth and glossy. If the chocolate doesn't fully melt, you can gently warm the mixture in a microwave for 20-30 seconds or place it back on very low heat on the stovetop.
- Pour the chocolate filling into the crust. Refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours or until the filling is firm.
- Just before serving, decorate the tart with gingerbread cookies, pomegranate arils or cranberries and mint or rosemary leaves. Slice and serve!