Shiitake Mushroom Risotto with Saffron and Butternut Squash
Cooked together butternut squash and shiitake mushrooms make a sweet and savory dairy-free risotto. Comforting and totally satisfying!
- Mushroom Stock
- 1 1/2 cups Dried Mushrooms
- 6 cups Water
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 3 tbsp Nutiva Organic Unrefined Red Palm Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic (sliced)
- 1 cup Onions (sliced)
- 1 pinch Saffron
- 5 cups Butternut Squash (peeled, seeded, and cubed)
- 2 cups Shiitake Mushroom Caps (sliced)
- 1 cup Carnaroli Rice (can be substituted with Arborio rice)
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 4 cups Mushroom Stock (see instructions below)
- 1 tsp Thyme (dried)
- Mushroom Stock
- Bring the dried mushrooms, water and bay leaves to a boil in a 6 quart pot.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer covered for 30 minutes. Strain and discard the dried mushrooms and bay leaves. You will have 4 cups of mushroom stock.
- Once stock is prepared, keep it warm over low heat.
- Heat the oil in a 6 quart stock pot over medium heat. Add garlic, onions and saffron; saute for 5 minutes or until the onions soften. Add the butternut squash and continue to saute for about 10 minutes, or until the squash softens. Add the shiitake mushrooms, rice and salt into the butternut squash mixture and continue to stir for 3 minutes to blend ingredients.
- Add 1 cup of simmering stock to the rice mixture, and adjust the heat to maintain a lively simmer. Continue stirring until the stock is absorbed and then add another cup of stock. Repeat with the remaining stock.
- Once all the stock is absorbed, add and stir in the thyme. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Serve immediately.
Related Recipes You might be interested in...