Roasted Eggplant Over Brown Rice
- 1 cup Brown Rice (organic, short grain)
- 2 cups Water
- 1 Onion (chopped)
- 4 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 Eggplant (medium sized, cubed)
- 1 Lemon (can be substituted with lime)
- 1 handful Cilantro (fresh)
- 4 tbsp Nutiva Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
- 4 tbsp Nutiva Organic Hempseed
- Seasoning Salt (salt, pepper, curry powder, crushed red pepper - add cayenne for more heat; to taste)
- Rinse 1 cup of short grain organic brown rice and soak up to 8 hours prior.
- In a large pan with a lid, melt 1 tbsp of coconut oil over medium heat. Add chopped onions to the pan and saute until the onion is translucent, then add garlic and saute until you can smell the garlic aroma.
- Add 2 cups of water and 1 cup of rinsed and soaked brown rice. Cover, then once simmering, lower heat. Leave to cook for 45 minutes.
- While rice cooks, start the eggplant by preheating oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small sauce pan melt the remaining 3 tbsp of coconut oil.
- Once melted, add the oil and eggplant to a large bowl. Toss until the eggplant is coated evenly.
- Squeeze the lemon or lime into the bowl, then add seasoning salt. Toss until well mixed.
- On a stone baking dish or baking sheet, layer eggplant evenly and place in oven.
- Roast eggplant for aprox. 30 min or until the edges have a slight crisp.
- After rice has cooked for 45 minutes, add in chopped cilantro. Once liquid is all absorbed, remove rice from heat and let stand for about 5 minutes.
- Plate rice, top with roasted eggplant, and sprinkle with hemp seeds.
Related Recipes You might be interested in...