Ginger and Spice Cookies
These cookies remind me of the Sugar Cookies my Grandma Ethel used to make, but these are gluten-free and made with Nutiva coconut sugar, shortening, and chia seeds for a healthier twist.
- Cookie Dough
- 1 tbsp Nutiva Organic Chia Seeds Organic Chia Seed
- 3 tbsp Water
- 1 Egg
- 2 cups Brown Rice Flour
- 1/3 cup Nutiva Organic Shortening (melted) Organic Shortening
- 1/2 cup Nutiva Organic Coconut Sugar Organic Coconut Sugar
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup
- 1 1/2 tbsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground Allspice
Ginger Coconut Sugar Topping
- 1 tbsp Nutiva Organic Coconut Sugar Organic Coconut Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Make ginger coconut sugar topping by putting the coconut sugar and ground ginger in a coffee grinder or blender. Blend to a fine powder.
- In a separate small bowl, put the chia seeds and water and set aside for 5-10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg, and then add 1 ¾ cups rice flour, shortening, coconut sugar, maple syrup, ginger, cinnamon, salt, allspice, and chia/water mixture.
- Stir well to form a cookie dough.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup brown rice flour on a pastry board, roll out the dough, then using a cookie cutter or the rim of a glass, press out cookies and place them on a lightly oiled cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle ginger coconut sugar topping onto each cookie.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool before eating.
Made With Nutiva
Related Recipes You might be interested in...