A recipe for Wild Blueberry and Buttery Borage Scones is just what your mother will love this Mother’s Day. Mothers love flowers. Some flowers are to be arranged into a beautiful bouquet while others are fun to forage, and are not only edible but also quite nutritious. They can be the cornerstone of the perfect Mother’s Day scone!
- 1 ¼ cup white spelt flour
- 1 cup purple corn flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 6 tablespoons Organic Coconut Oil with Butter Flavor
- ⅓ cup Organic Coconut Sugar
- ¾ cup vegan buttermilk ( add 1 tablespoon lemon juice to the coconut milk let set 5-10 minutes)
- 1 big handful of Organic Shelled Hemp Seed
- 1 small handful frozen wild blueberries
- 1 small handful wild foraged borage flowers
- Approx. ⅛ cup coarsely ground turbinado sugar to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a big bowl add spelt and purple corn flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
3. Add just the Buttery Coconut Oil and dry mix above into to a food processor and pulse until it has a “wet sand” texture.
4. Transfer the mix back to the big bowl.
5. In a smaller bowl whisk together the coconut sugar, coconut-buttermilk, and egg.
6. In the big bowl fold the wet mix with the dry.
7. Fold in the frozen blueberries (keep them frozen until the minute you add them).
8. Split the dough into two.
9. Transfer the two dough balls onto separate pieces of plastic big enough to cover each, then wrap and flatten each one into approx. 1 ½ inch high discs.
10. Take the plastic off of them and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
11. Put one disc on each sheet, sprinkle evenly with turbinado sugar, then make 4 cuts into each disc. (Each disc will yield 8 scones.).
12. With a pie server or spatula, carefully move the raw scones away from each other so each one has enough room to rise and expand.
13. Add the cookie sheets to the oven and bake for exactly 15 minutes.
14. Break one open, watch the steam dance out then enjoy with a thick slab of buttery spread & Buttery Coconut Oil Coffee.
Do you have a favorite recipe that uses flowers? Share it with us in the comments below!
Looking for more Mother’s Day Brunch ideas? Grab our Mother’s Day Brunch Menu.