Salsa Macha Ingredients:
- 2 large ancho peppers
- 2 large guajillo peppers
- 5-6 chile de arbol peppers
- ¼ cup peanuts
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 cups Nutiva Organic Avocado Oil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Salt, to taste
- ½ teaspoon Mexican oregano
Jackfruit Carnitas Tacos Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons of Nutiva Organic Avocado Oil
- ½ of a sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- 2 20 oz. cans of jackfruit, seeds removed, drained, rinsed, and squeezed of excess liquid
- 3 teaspoons of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons of coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup of orange juice
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 pack of tortillas
- 2 tomatoes
- 1-2 ripe avocados
- 1 bundle of cilantro
Salsa Macha Instructions:
1. Remove the stems and seeds from all the peppers. Chop them into about ¼ inch or smaller pieces and set them aside.
2. Add the peanuts, garlic, sesame seeds, and oil into a medium pot. Heat to medium heat, stir and cook for 5 minutes, or until the garlic starts to get crispy, and the seeds turn golden brown.
3. Remove from heat and stir in the chili peppers. Allow it to cool for 10 minutes. Stir in the vinegar, salt, and oregano.
4. Pour the mixture into a blender or food processor and pulse several times until the salsa is nicely combined. Avoid over-processing the salsa macha, as it’s best a bit crunchy and not as a puree.
5. Serve over tacos, burritos, enchiladas, eggs, and more. It lasts 3-4 weeks when stored in the fridge in a sealed container.
Jackfruit Carnitas Tacos Instructions:
1.Preheat the oven to 425°and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Drain, rinse and gently pat dry the jackfruit. Remove the core so you can easily shred the more tender parts.
3. Drain and rinse the jackfruit, and then lightly pat it dry. Cut off the core so that you’re only left with the outer parts that are the ones easy to shred.
4. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the avocado oil. Cook the onion for five minutes, then add the garlic, salt, and pepper and cook for another minute.
5. Add in the jackfruit and stir; saute until tender. Begin to use your wooden spoon to mash the mixture, so it becomes more of a shredded texture.
6. Then, mix in the chili powder, oregano, bay leaves, brown sugar, orange juice, lime juice, and broth. Stir and bring the mixture to a slow and low simmer.
7. Let the mixture simmer gently, uncovered, for about 15 minutes. Stir often as the liquid continues to reduce.
8. Once all of the liquid has evaporated, remove the bay leaves and place the jackfruit onto the baking sheet, and spread out evenly.
9. Bake this for 25 minutes, flipping halfway through.
10. While the jackfruit is baking, warm up the tortillas over the stove. Chop the avocado, cilantro, and tomato to serve as toppings.
11. Then serve the shredded jackfruits in the tacos topped with tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, and your homemade salsa macha!