Close Menu
Blog

What Are Organic Natural Flavors?

What’s the Scoop on Organic Natural Flavors?

At Nutiva, we carefully source each ingredient that comprise our products and only partner with farmers and suppliers who meet our rigorous standards. All of the premium products we offer are USDA Certified Organic and Non-GMO Project Verified and support farming communities all over the world. We believe in real foods that nourish people and planet and are on a mission to ‘revolutionize the way the world eats.” We donate one percent of our sales to programs that support sustainable agriculture and healthy communities (over $4MM to date!). Check out our Real Food Manifesto for more information about what our brand stands for.

We are fortunate to have a following of informed, passionate brand advocates who carefully read ingredient labels (great job!), and these fans have requested we provide more information about the ingredients found in our new Organic Plant Protein Superfood Smoothies.

Our Chocolate and Vanilla Organic Plant Protein Superfood Smoothies list “Organic Natural Flavors” as an ingredient in our organic formula.  But not all flavors are created equal—it’s important to understand that there are many different classifications of “flavors,” ranging from artificial to organic. While we’re unable to publicly post every ingredient in our Organic Natural Flavor (it is proprietary information from our supplier), we do disclose every ingredient to our organic certifier, QAI, to ensure it meets organic standards.

 

Nutiva Organic Natural Flavors are:

  • USDA Certified Organic
  • Non-GMO Project Verified
  • Completely plant-based
  • Vegan
  • Chemical-free

 

Nutiva Organic Plant Protein Superfood Smoothies DO NOT contain:

  • Pesticides or herbicides
  • Hydrolyzed protein
  • Growth hormones
  • Antibiotics
  • GMOs
  • Allergens
  • Gluten
  • Corn, soy or canola
  • Synthetic chemicals
  • Animal-derived ingredients
  • Preservatives
  • BHA
  • Propylene glycol
  • MSG
  • Excitotoxins
  • Glutamate
  • Castoreum

 

Below we’ve outlined common flavor classifications and the standards for each one. Nutiva utilizes only “Organic Flavor Blend 95%” in our Organic Plant Protein Superfood Smoothies.

Artificial Flavor
Comprised entirely of artificial flavor ingredients
Labeling: Artificial Flavor, Artificial “X” Flavor (example: artificial strawberry flavor)
May Contain: Propylene Glycol, BHA, MSG, pesticides, GMOs, chemicals, animal derivatives, and more

Natural Flavor
Flavor derived solely from the named botanical
Labeling: Natural “X” Flavor (example: natural strawberry flavor or strawberry flavor)
May Contain: Propylene Glycol, BHA, MSG, pesticides, GMOs, chemicals, animal derivatives, and more

Organic Flavor Blend 70%
Derived solely from natural ingredients of which ≥ 70% are organically produced. The remaining 30% is comprised of natural ingredients that are organic compliant.
Labeling: Natural Flavor, made with Organic “ingredients” or Natural Flavor, with other natural flavor
Contains: Organic compliant ingredients

Organic Flavor Blend 95% (Nutiva)
Derived solely from natural ingredients of which ≥ 95% are organically produced. The remaining 5% is comprised of natural ingredients that are organic compliant and vetted by organic certifiers.
Labeling: Organic Natural Flavor
Contains: entirely organic ingredients

If you have a specific question or concern regarding our formula, please contact our Customer Service Team at help@nutiva.com.

Related Recipes You might be interested in...

Comments

Add a Comment

We'd love to get your thoughts.

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Newsletter Get the Scoop
Arrow Up

Back to Top