Sweet and Spicy Plum Scones
With sweet, ripe summertime folded into our Sweet and Spicy Plum Scones, you are sure to make a big impression. Juicy plums and spicy jalapeños take center stage here. Other Nutiva must haves include Organic Coconut Sugar, Organic Coconut Flour, and Organic Shortening. If your scones are looking for a quick drizzle, let Nutiva’s Organic MCT Oil mix along nicely with the remaining spiced up plum sauce to give both the sauce and your taste buds a happy dance!
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 ½ jalapeno pepper
- 1.5-pound plums, halved, pitted and then cut into 1-inch cubes
- ⅓ cup Forager Cashew milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups One Degree Organics Sprouted Spelt Flour
- 5 tablespoons Organic Coconut Flour
- 3 tablespoons Organic Coconut Sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon Organic Shortening
- Prep the plums and jalapeño peppers first by giving a quick rinse. Halve, pit and quarter all plums. Slice peppers into rounds, then halves.
- Heat up a pan on medium heat for 1 minute, then add honey and jalapeños. Let it bubble and caramelize for 2 minutes then throw in plums and cook for another 5 minutes. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Measure and sift dry ingredients into a large bowl: both flours, baking powder, and sea salt. Set aside.
- Add shortening and sugar into the dry ingredients bowl, then mix with hands until it has a wet sand texture.
- In a different bowl, measure milk & whisk in the egg. Set aside. (Note: Reserve about 2 tablespoons to use as an egg wash on top of the dough.)
- In the bowl with wet ingredients, measure 1 cup of the cooked plum sauce. Whisk together. Fold into “wet sandy mix”.
- Half the dough evenly, then make a big disc about 6-7 inches wide and 1 to 2 inches thick. Do this with both halves of dough and place on two different cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Brush on the reserved milk and egg wash.
- With a spoon or your thumb, make an indent in the scones and spoon in the plum sauce.
- Carefully move the scone slices away from each other so they bake evenly.
- Put the scones into the oven and bake at 375°F for 15- 17 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes.
- Mix the Nutiva Organic MCT oil and the rest of the reserved plum sauce together and drizzle onto scones.