Yummy Winter Squash Soup
Yummy winter squash soup served with rich split peas and spicy cayenne pepper can be served hot with a salad for lunch or with toasted whole wheat bead sticks. It is spicy and filling, rich in vitamins and minerals and makes a healthy addition to any dieter’s meal plan with organic coconut oil and hemp seed. The smooth rich taste of winter squash combined with the nutty flavor of split peas will have you coming back for more after trying this recipe especially if you are trying it out on a cold winter’s day. Add more or less cayenne pepper if you so desire to give it that extra zing.
- 4 Cups water
- 1 Tsp. sea salt (or to taste)
- 2 Cups winter squash (acorn, pumpkin)
- 1 Cup carrots diced
- 1 Sprig celery
- 2 Cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 Tsp. cayenne pepper crushed (or just a dash to taste)
- 1 Medium onion chopped
- 1 Tsp. thyme crushed
- 1/2 Cup yellow split peas (pre-cooked)
- 1 Cup chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1/2 Cup Nutiva Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1/2 Cup soy sauce
- 2 Tsp. Nutiva Organic Shelled Hempseed
- Put water to boil.
- Add sea salt to taste
- Add ½ cup yellow split peas
- Add diced winter squash and stock, simmering until squash is tender.
- Stir in diced carrots and simmer another 4 minutes or until carrot is tender.
- Add Coconut Oil and soy sauce.
- Stir in seasoning (celery, garlic, cayenne pepper, onion, thyme).
- Boil for 5 more minutes or until onion is tender.
- Remove from stove.
- Puree soup in blender or drink as is, crunchy bits of split peas will be left over if pureed..
- Sprinkle hempseeds on top before serving