A simple French classic, this easy recipe is deceptively simple and is perfect for any time of day! Enjoy drizzled with hollandaise or béarnaise sauce.
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 cup Nutiva Organic Shortening (softened)
- 1/4 cup Milk (can be substituted with cold water)
- 4 Eggs (beaten)
- 1 1/2 cups Milk (can be substituted with cream, half & half, rice milk, or almond milk)
- 1/2 cup Onion (caramelized)
- 1 1/2 cups Baby Spinach (fresh)
- 1 cup Swiss Cheese (shredded; can be substituted with cheese of your choice)
- 1 pinch Sea Salt
- 1 pinch Ground Black Pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Starting with the crust, sift flour & salt together and mix well.
- Beat in shortening until mixture is crumbed. Add in milk or water until dough is smooth.
- Roll dough into a ball, then inside a greased 9″ pie tin, press outward and up to the edges, then flute the edges with your fingertips or a fork.
- Sprinkle filler ingredients (caramelized onions, raw spinach, and cheese) into the crust.
- Whisk together eggs and milk in a medium mixing bowl, then stir in salt & pepper. Pour egg mixture over filler ingredients, mixing if you prefer, but making sure that the fillers are covered completely by the egg mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes on oven’s center rack, or until center is no longer jiggly. Note that the center may rise into a pillow while baking, but this is fine – it will settle once it is taken out of the oven and allowed to cool.
Related Recipes You might be interested in...