Savory Stuffed Winter Squash
With organic chia seeds, organic red palm oil, organic hempseeds, and herbs, gluten-free kasha and vegetables is transformed into a colorful side dish that is fabulous stuffed into winter squash.
- 3-6 Baked Winter Squash (such as acorn or carnival)
- 2 tbsp Nutiva Organic Ground Chia Seed
- 2 + 1/3 cups Water
- 1 cup Kasha
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 tbsp Nutiva Organic Red Palm Oil
- 2 cups Shiitake Muscrooms (fresh; stems removed and caps sliced)
- 1 cup Leeks (coarsely chopped; can be substituted with onions)
- 1 cup Celery (sliced)
- 1 cup Red Bell Pepper (coarsely chopped)
- 1 tbsp Thyme(fresh leaves; can be substituted with 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme)
- 2 tsp Sage (fresh, coarsely chopped; can be substituted with 1 tsp dried sage
- 1/4 cup Nutiva Organic Hempseed
- Place the milled chia seeds in a small bowl with 1/3 cup water; set aside and boil 2 cups water in a tea kettle.
- Heat and melt the red palm oil in a 9-inch heavy skillet. Add mushrooms, leeks, celery, red bell peppers, kasha, chia mixture, and sea salt, and saute mixing occasionally for 5 minutes, or until the ingredients are fragrant, and well mixed. Turn off the heat.
- Add the boiling water, and bring the ingredients to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer covered for 10 minutes, or until the water is absorbed. Add and stir in the thyme and sage. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if desired.
- Let cool briefly, and serve stuffed into baked winter squashes such as acorn or carnival, garnished with hemp seeds.
Related Recipes You might be interested in...