Savory Apple Hemp Croquettes
- 1 cup Organic Shelled Hempseed
- 10 oz broccoli chopped (1 medium head, hard stem composted)
- 10 oz potatoes or 1 large potato chopped
- 2 medium apples chopped (this recipe used Pink Lady apples)
- 3 large crimini mushrooms chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon Organic Coconut Flour
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoon dried basil (divided)
- 2 ½ teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Secret coconut aminos
- Frying Ingredients
- For the Pan:
- 1 ½ cup Organic Refined Coconut Oil
- Another 2 teaspoons Nutiva Organic Refined Coconut Oil to fry mushrooms and onions
- Bowl One
- Homemade Gluten Free Panko
- 1 cup One Degree Crispy Rice Cereal
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- *optional ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Bowl Two
- 2 pasture raised eggs (whipped)
- Bowl Three
- 1 cup One Degree Sprouted Spelt Flour
- Make the Homemade Gluten Free Panko by placing the crispy rice cereal and nutritional yeast in a food processor. Pulse 4-5 times, then place into a small bowl and set aside for frying later.
- Chop all produce, set aside everything else but the broccoli and put it in to steamer. Steam for 6 minutes.
- Heat up a small pan with 2 teaspoons coconut oil throw in the crimini mushrooms, onions, 1 teaspoon basil and coconut aminos then sautée for 6 minutes and set aside.
- Take broccoli off the heat, rinse; then pat dry with a tea towel and place into the food processor. Pulse 3-4 times. Scoop it into a mixing bowl.
- Steam the apples and potatoes for 6 minutes. Then rinse with cold water, pat dry and place them into the food processor; along with the sautéed onions and mushrooms then pulse 5-6 times. Scoop this mix into the same mixing bowl that the broccoli is in & fold into each other until all is well incorporated.
- Add salt, Italian seasoning, and basil. Mix it up well.
- Throw in the coconut flour to soak up moisture.
- Put a lid on it and place in the fridge for 20 minutes to set and be marry. (Which also gives us time, clean up and to prep for frying).
- Crack the eggs, whip them and transfer to a small bowl.
- Measure 1 cup of sprouted spelt flour into the third small bowl.
- To prep the frying space, place a tea towel or paper towel down on a cookie sheet (this will be where we set the dusted croquettes and later finished fried croquettes). Carve a spot somewhere on the counter to dust your hands before roughly molding the base mixture into discs. A plate with ¼-½ cup sprouted spelt flour worked well. Put a small fork by the bowls, to fish out the dunked discs. Have an extra towel handy to wipe off your fingers off because this is messy!
- Line the bowls up as such: 1st egg dip, 2nd flour dust 3rd panko dust. Start by dusting your hands with flour and scooping about 1 ½ tablespoons worth of base mix with a large soup spoon. Make a disc then place in the egg wash, use the fork to fish it out and hold up for a few seconds to let egg dip off before placing into the flour. After the disc is in the flour, use the roundness of the bowl to your advantage and pick it up and whirl it around to evenly coat it. Use the fork and retrieve it from the flour, then place into the panko. Do the same thing as with the flour until evenly coated. Then place on the tea towel.
- Repeat the above until all 16 croquettes have been assembled.
- In a small frying pan (the smaller the better), heat ½ cup Refined Coconut Oil up to just below medium heat the oil should be 350-375 degrees. Take care not to let it smoke. Fry each side 1 ½ minutes. place finished croquettes on the tea towel.
- Fry 5 croquettes this way then change out the oil as bits of flour and panko will start to smoke.
- Fry another 5 up change the oil out, then fry up the last 6 croquettes.
- Serve with [url href=”https://kitchen.nutiva.com/hemp-oil-salsa/” target=”_blank”]Hemp Oil Salsa[/url]. Enjoy!
Have you ever had a small roll of chopped vegetables, meat, or fish, fried in breadcrumbs, aka a croquette? If so, you’ve likely never had ones quite like these Savory Apple Hemp Croquettes we’re sharing with you today!
Savory Apple Hemp Croquettes
Click HERE to save this recipe for later.
Grab a jar of Nutiva Organic Refined Coconut Oil, and get started!
Have you ever had croquettes? How do you make them?