Piña Colada Upside Down Cake
The addition of coconut to the old-fashioned pineapple upside down cake is an interesting twist on this all American favorite, hence the name Piña Colada, like the cocktail. This cake is yummy!
- Dry Ingredient
- 1 cup Wheat flour *(or Pam's or Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Baking Flour)
- 1/3 cup Nutiva Organic Coconut Flour Organic Coconut Flour
- 3/4 cup Nutiva Organic Coconut Sugar Organic Coconut Sugar
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Wet Ingredient
- 1/4 cup Nutiva Organic Virgin Coconut Oil Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
- 3/4 cup Nutiva Organic Coconut Manna™ *(recipe on website) Organic Coconut Manna
- 3 Eggs
- 1 8-oz can Crushed Pineapple
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Coconut Extract
- 1 Lime (zested)
- 1 tbsp Lime Juice
- 1 tbsp Rum (optional)
- Bottom Pan Ingredient
- 2 tbsp Nutiva Organic Virgin Coconut Oil Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1/4 tbsp Nutiva Organic Coconut Sugar Organic Coconut Sugar
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
- 1 20-oz can Pineapple slices (sweetened in juice)
- Grease a 9-inch cake pan with the 2 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- For the pan bottom: sprinkle the coconut sugar (1/4 cup) evenly over the bottom of the pan. Then do the same with the dried coconut (1/2 cup). Drain the pineapple slices and arrange them on top of the coconut. Press gently.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Mix the coconut oil and Manna milk in another bowl and add to the dry ingredients. Beat for 1 minute.
- Mix the egg, vanilla, coconut extract, rum, lime rind and juice together. Add the crushed pineapple WITH the juice and mix again. Add all of this to the batter. Blend till just combined.
- Pour the batter over the pineapple slices. Bake on 350 degrees for 35 minutes till the cake is lightly browned (when a toothpick in the center comes out clean).
- Let cool and invert onto a plate or serving dish.
- If you absolutely must, garnish with Maraschino cherries!
Made With Nutiva
Related Recipes You might be interested in...