Omega Falafel and Tahini Sauce
Authentic tasting falafel with a healthier twist. Milled chia seeds are used in place of the traditional garbanzo flour for an extra kick of omega-3’s with the same binding properties of flour. Coconut oil offers a buttery richness to this vegan favorite, and some jalapeno adds that extra “oomph” homemade falafel is often lacking.
- 1 bag Garbanzo Beans (dried; can be substituted with 2 cans of drained garbanzo beans)
- 2-3 tbsp Nutiva Organic Milled Chia Seed Organic Chia Seed
- 1-2 tbsp Nutiva Organic Virgin Coconut Oil Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 3/4 cup Cilantro (fresh; chopped)
- 1-2 tbsp Garlic (minced)
- 1 Red Onion (medium; diced)
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- Chili Powder (to taste)
- 1/4 Jalapeño (diced; optional)
- Tahini Sauce
- 1/3 cup Tahini Paste
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 Lemon (juiced)
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Garlic (minced)
- If you’re using canned chickpeas, just drain and rinse, then you’re ready to go! If using dried chickpeas, first, soak chickpeas overnight in cold water. Make sure to submerge them in enough water to give them room to double in size. You can allow them to sprout by letting them soak for 2-3 days; just be sure to change the water twice a day to prevent bacterial growth.
- After you’ve allowed the garbanzo beans to soak, boil them for about 90 minutes or until they’re tender all the way through.
- Once they’re soft, drain and rinse the beans, then allow them to cool.
- Add all falafel ingredients to a food processor. Pulse the ingredients and scrape down the sides to chop up all the chickpeas.
- Once all of your ingredients are of a chunky-paste consistency, form flat 2″ patties and place them in a single layer on a cookie sheet.
- Place formed patties in the freezer to harden, then transfer into airtight containers.
- When you’re ready to eat them, heat a non-stick skillet over medium to medium-high heat, then drizzle about a tablespoon of olive oil and heat it.
- Place frozen falafel patties directly on skillet and fry them until they are a deep golden-brown (about 6 minutes on each side).
- Tahini Sauce
- Add all tahini sauce ingredients to food processor and blend until smooth.