Hempseed and Black Rice Crackers
Did someone say chips and dip? Enjoy a fresh take on this infamous duo with our Hempseed and Black Rice Cracker recipe!
- 1/2 cup forbidden black rice
- 1 1/4 cup water
- Sea salt
- 1/2 cup black sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup Organic Shelled Hempseed
- 2 tablespoons brown rice flower + more for rolling out
- Tamari or soy sauce to brush crackers
- Flake salt, optional
- First start by rinsing the rice under cold water and preheating your oven to 350°.
- Add 1/2 cup black rice, 1 1/4 cups water and a pinch of sea salt to a small pot and bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer until rice is cooked through and tender, about 15 minutes. Remove cooked rice from the pot and let cool until its no longer hot to the touch.
- In a food processor, add in the cooked rice, 1/2 cup black sesame seeds, 1/2 cup Nutiva Hempseeds and pulse until it forms a ground meal or starts to come together like a dough. Pulse again, adding in the 2 tablespoon of rice flour and a tablespoon at a time of water if the mixture feels too dry. It should begin to form a ball in the food processor.
- Tear off 3 sheets of parchment paper the size of your baking sheet. Set one on the counter and empty the rice dough on to it, using your hands to bring the mixture together, forming a ball. Cut the ball in half and set one half aside under a kitchen towel so it doesn’t dry out.
- Taking the another sheet of parchment that you measured, place on top of the dough and press down gently. Begin rolling out the dough to until it’s really thin and even throughout. Peel back the top sheet of parchment and brush on a thin layer of tamari, soy sauce or a sprinkle of flake salt. Sprinkle on more hemp seeds if you’d like, pressing them gently into the dough.
- Bake in the oven for about 10-15 minutes, turning the baking sheet half way through. Repeat this process with the remaining dough.
Don’t be intimidated by how many steps there are in this recipe. Great as an afternoon snack or to share with friends at an event, these Hempseed and Black Rice Crackers are worth the extra time to make at home. Once you make these crackers, you’ll see how simple they are to whip up again and again.
Hempseeds are often referred to as the world’s most nutritious seed because they’re loaded with mineral, amino acids, omega-fatty acids and fiber! It’s rich and nutty flavor profile makes this plant-based protein perfect addition to any snack or meal.
When you choose to use Nutiva’s USA-Grown Organic Hempseeds, you are also supporting domestic hemp cultivation. Nutiva has been a long-standing advocacy for regenerative agricultural practices, especially those that incorporate hemp production in farming rotations. Through our 1% program, we’ve donated over one million dollars towards programs that support hemp advocacy and agriculture and we will continue to support this initiative until the crop is deemed legal in the United States again.
Pairing the superfood qualities of hempseeds with Forbidden Black Rice makes it easy to consume all of the great daily nutrients these ingredients provide. Forbidden Black Rice get is dark color from anthocyanins, “a flavonoid with antioxidant qualities” and since it’s a whole grain, it permits more health benefits that other processed alternatives.
Together in this homemade cracker recipe, Hempseed and Black Rice crackers are the perfect combination which makes scooping your favorite dip a guilt-free snack that you can fully enjoy.