Gluten-Free Vegan Fig Newtons
These gluten free vegan Fig Newtons will put a smile on your face. Just look at how happy these little bars look to the right. Makes you want to break out the oven mitts, huh?
- 3/4 lbs Figs (dried, stems removed and coarsely chopped; should yield about 2 generous cups)
- 2/3 cup Water
- 4 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 2 tsp Lemon Zest (grated; can be substituted with grated orange zest)
- 2 tbsp Nutiva Organic Ground Chia Seed Organic Chia Seed
- 1/4 cup Almond Milk
- 3/4 cup Nutiva Organic Coconut Sugar Organic Coconut Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Nutiva Organic Virgin Coconut Oil (melted) Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1 cup Oat Flour (make your own by whirring rolled oats in a coffee grinder)
- 1/2 cup Teff Flour
- 1/2 tsp Guar Gum
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- In a small saucepan, cook the filling ingredients over a low simmer for 10-20 minutes.
- Mash periodically, adding more water as necessary. I always seem to use a cup or more of water as my figs are very dry. You want to end moisture to be thick and moist like a thick jelly. Just keep mashing around until the pieces are mostly broken down. If you have kiddos averse to texture, you could puree the mixture in a food processor.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the chia meal and milk. Add in the palm sugar and vanilla. While continually whisking, pour in the melted coconut oil to incorporate before it solidifies. Sprinkle in the dry ingredients, in order.
- Using your whisk, lightly mix the dry ingredients before whisking more thoroughly into the wet. Stir until a wet dough is formed.
- Rolling the two cookie crusts: Roll out two 8 x 8 squares.
- Use at least one piece of parchment, and another piece of either a greased or floured piece of plastic wrap or waxed paper.
- Roll the dough out. Remove the top piece, leaving the dough directly on the parchment.
- Lift the paper with the dough and place into an 8 x 8 baking dish. Spread the filling evenly over the bottom crust. The top crust is trickier as you have to remove both pieced.
- Flour or grease both pieces of plastic wrap or waxed paper thoroughly.
- Remove the top piece, life the remaining piece and invert on top of the filling. It does not have to look perfect!
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes until golden.
- Let cool completely before cutting…if you can wait that long!
Related Recipes You might be interested in...