Give Your Morning Coffee a Simple Boost

There are probably a thousand different ways to drink that morning cup ‘o joe: with sugar, without sugar, with frothed milk, with coconut milk, with honey and almond milk or coconut sugar and organic creamer, etc., etc.
Immersion A
But recently, a new way of drinking the morning glory has entered thousands of cups: the “Bulletproof” way.
The original Bulletproof coffee is the idea of entrepreneur Dave Asprey, founder of Bulletproof Lifestyle.
The aim is to “bulletproof” yourself against fatigue, flab and chronic diseases such as arthritis (something Asprey himself suffered from at just 14).” This magic brew “contains a blend of top-quality filter coffee, two tablespoons of high-grade coconut oil and two tablespoons of unsalted butter. It’s said to train the body to burn fat instead of sugars, and to enhance physical well-being and cognitive ability beyond your wildest imaginings.
Overtime, people have implemented their own versions of “Bulletproof” with the likes of using Ghee (instead of butter) and adding in additional spices, using vanilla and stevia and more.
But there is yet another way to enjoy that morning cup ‘o joe while reaping some extra benefits: adding just coconut oil to your morning cup.
Ingredients A
Proponents of this method say that all we really need are the MCT (medium-chain triglycerides) benefits, which are found in coconut oil, and they also say that this way is the simplest way.
We decided to blend up our own coffee + coconut oil concoction. Join along!
The secret lies with the blending.
You must use a blender in order for your coffee + Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil beverage to turn out perfect.
We tested 2 different blending methods to share with you.
For both methods you’ll need:

• 1 c. Organic Coffee (Fair Trade is preferred. Learn more about Fair Trade Coffee)
  • 1 tbsp. Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil

Ingredients C
Small Blender Method
Place your ingredients in a small blender.
Small Blender Step 1
Blend for about 5-8 seconds.
Small Blender Step 2
Serve and enjoy!
Blender A
Immersion Stick Method
Place your ingredients in the small container that came with the immersion stick (or a medium-sized bowl if you don’t have the container).
Immersion Stick A
Ensure immersion stick is fully inserted into the liquid (it should touch the bottom of your container/bowl).
Immersion Stick Process A
Note: you must be certain that the stick is all the way down so the liquid doesn’t fly everywhere.
Immersion Stick Process B
Blend for about 5-8 seconds.
Immersion Stick Process C
Serve and enjoy!
Immersion C

Comments

1. nadine says:

was reading this and could not help but chuckle a bit….this delicious “tea” “coffee” has been being served in the himalaya’s for centuries, though i am sure it tastes a bit more refined in the states….as yak butter, is a bit strong : )

2. glenda says:

I s this not a terrible lot of calories?

3. Catherine says:

How do you liquify ?
    Can you keep heating up the same jar of oil over and over ?

Hi Catherine – are you looking to liquify for the coconut oil coffee? If so, just place the coconut oil and coffee in your blender and it will automatically liquify. To liquify the coconut oil on its own, simply scoop out (from the jar) the amount of coconut oil you’d like to liquify, then place on the stove or in the microwave to liquify. It will only take a few seconds likely. Thanks!

4. Brenda says:

I love Bulletproof coffee, I use Nutiva oil and Kerrygold butter in it to drink at home, but if for at work I want to drink Bulletproof – how can I blending to bring at work? I have Oster blender bottle at home I drink every morning before I went to work, I want to bring at work and am afraid will noise blender sound to bother people at work. what is your suggestion?
    Thank you.

1. Sarah Kay Hoffman says:

Hi Brenda – the only real way is to use a blender. You could always just blend prior to going to work and then once at work, shake it up. That will likely be your best alternative to making it on the spot with a blender. Enjoy!

5. Karen says:

I think I remember Dave Asprey (via YouTube) saying he first tasted it made with green tea and decided to try making it with coffee. I find it delicious made with either. I particularly like either one with a very small amount of stevia added and a splash of almond milk, which I heat on the stove with both oils, then use an immersion blender to emulsify. It makes a tremendous difference to use the blender. I use a stainless steel milk frothing pan I obtained in a kitchen store, and which is tall and narrow, and worth the $18 or so investment. Do not make the mistake of adding cold anything (milk/cream/etc) into the hot drink as you’ll defeat the purpose of having heating it and emulsifying it. Lovely hot drink anytime!

1. Sarah Kay Hoffman says:

Hi Karen! Thanks for all the great thoughts and tips. It sounds like you have perfected your morning beverage!