Give Your Morning Coffee a Simple Boost

There are probably a thousand different ways to drink that morning cup ‘o joe: with sugar, without sugar, with frothed milk, with coconut milk, with honey and almond milk or coconut sugar and organic creamer, etc., etc.
Immersion A
But recently, a new way of drinking the morning glory has entered thousands of cups: the “Bulletproof” way.
The original Bulletproof coffee is the idea of entrepreneur Dave Asprey, founder of Bulletproof Lifestyle.
The aim is to “bulletproof” yourself against fatigue, flab and chronic diseases such as arthritis (something Asprey himself suffered from at just 14).” This magic brew “contains a blend of top-quality filter coffee, two tablespoons of high-grade coconut oil and two tablespoons of unsalted butter. It’s said to train the body to burn fat instead of sugars, and to enhance physical well-being and cognitive ability beyond your wildest imaginings.
Overtime, people have implemented their own versions of “Bulletproof” with the likes of using Ghee (instead of butter) and adding in additional spices, using vanilla and stevia and more.
But there is yet another way to enjoy that morning cup ‘o joe while reaping some extra benefits: adding just coconut oil to your morning cup.
Ingredients A
Proponents of this method say that all we really need are the MCT (medium-chain triglycerides) benefits, which are found in coconut oil, and they also say that this way is the simplest way.
We decided to blend up our own coffee + coconut oil concoction. Join along!
The secret lies with the blending.
You must use a blender in order for your coffee + Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil beverage to turn out perfect.
We tested 2 different blending methods to share with you.
For both methods you’ll need:

• 1 c. Organic Coffee (Fair Trade is preferred. Learn more about Fair Trade Coffee)
  • 1 tbsp. Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil

Ingredients C
Small Blender Method
Place your ingredients in a small blender.
Small Blender Step 1
Blend for about 5-8 seconds.
Small Blender Step 2
Serve and enjoy!
Blender A
Immersion Stick Method
Place your ingredients in the small container that came with the immersion stick (or a medium-sized bowl if you don’t have the container).
Immersion Stick A
Ensure immersion stick is fully inserted into the liquid (it should touch the bottom of your container/bowl).
Immersion Stick Process A
Note: you must be certain that the stick is all the way down so the liquid doesn’t fly everywhere.
Immersion Stick Process B
Blend for about 5-8 seconds.
Immersion Stick Process C
Serve and enjoy!
Immersion C

Comments

1. Linda says:

I have started drinking Bulletproof Coffee in the last year. I mix the coffee with 2 T coconut oil and 2 T of grass-fed butter (Kerrygold or other brand.) Yes, the secret IS in the blending. Otherwise you have a BIG “oil slick” on top of your drink, which isn’t that palatable. Lately, I have begun making Bulletproof Green Tea, using the same amounts of oil/butter. I like it a lot too. I add a couple of “shakes” of cinnamon to mine too… just for a little extra favor interest… YUMMY!

1. Jan says:

How are you all blending? I want to try this but I have a nutri bullet and am afraid of using that.

1. The Nutiva Team says:

Hi Jan! We used an immersion blender to make this recipe. Thanks!

2. Christina Coenen says:

Your not supposed to put hot liquids in the Nutri bullet as per the users handbook!

1. Sarah Kay Hoffman says:

Hi Christina – If you are not comfortable using the bullet, you can use our alternative method Immersion blender. Thank you for the concern.

2. CT says:

I tried putting my hot coffee with coconut oil in my nutribullet a couple of times and it had a scorched taste. Could it be the nutribullet?

1. The Nutiva Team says:

Hi CT! We used an immersion blender to make this recipe and it turned out great, so it’s possible your Nutribullet had something to do with the off-flavor.

1. Steve Blandford says:

I use my Vitamix for various concoctions which works quite well as you can vary the speed from very slow to godawful fast. Have not had the problem of scorching. I usually run it about half speed.. Love it

3. Ohhh what about adding in the hemp seed for protein?

4. I have been using coconut oil and baking soda as a safe, effective deodorant for several years. dip finger in oil and liquefy and rub under arms. Place just a dusting of baking soda on top of coconut oil. voila!

5. I often make my Bulletproof Coffee with coconut oil instead of butter–but I still use the MCT oil!! You forgot that essential component for slow-burning fuel and improved concentration!
    I do find that the coffee gets less frothy with coconut oil instead of butter. Oh, well!

1. Jerry says:

Coconut oil has everything that MCT oil has. MCT oil is just a concentrated form of ingredients that are already in coconut oil.

1. Luzmin says:

Actually MCT oil has no lauric acid, which coconut oil does have and it is actually the most beneficial fatty acid for our immune system out of the capric and caprylic acids. You are better off using coconut oil, and it is a whole food so there are other nutrients in it that your body can use. I am reading Bruce Fife’s Cocounut Oil Miracle right now and it is amazing.