Give Your Morning Coffee a Simple Boost

There are probably a thousand different ways to drink that morning cup ‘o joe: with sugar, without sugar, with frothed milk, with coconut milk, with honey and almond milk or coconut sugar and organic creamer, etc., etc.
Immersion A
But recently, a new way of drinking the morning glory has entered thousands of cups: the “Bulletproof” way.
The original Bulletproof coffee is the idea of entrepreneur Dave Asprey, founder of Bulletproof Lifestyle.
The aim is to “bulletproof” yourself against fatigue, flab and chronic diseases such as arthritis (something Asprey himself suffered from at just 14).” This magic brew “contains a blend of top-quality filter coffee, two tablespoons of high-grade coconut oil and two tablespoons of unsalted butter. It’s said to train the body to burn fat instead of sugars, and to enhance physical well-being and cognitive ability beyond your wildest imaginings.
Overtime, people have implemented their own versions of “Bulletproof” with the likes of using Ghee (instead of butter) and adding in additional spices, using vanilla and stevia and more.
But there is yet another way to enjoy that morning cup ‘o joe while reaping some extra benefits: adding just coconut oil to your morning cup.
Ingredients A
Proponents of this method say that all we really need are the MCT (medium-chain triglycerides) benefits, which are found in coconut oil, and they also say that this way is the simplest way.
We decided to blend up our own coffee + coconut oil concoction. Join along!
The secret lies with the blending.
You must use a blender in order for your coffee + Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil beverage to turn out perfect.
We tested 2 different blending methods to share with you.
For both methods you’ll need:

• 1 c. Organic Coffee (Fair Trade is preferred. Learn more about Fair Trade Coffee)
  • 1 tbsp. Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil

Ingredients C
Small Blender Method
Place your ingredients in a small blender.
Small Blender Step 1
Blend for about 5-8 seconds.
Small Blender Step 2
Serve and enjoy!
Blender A
Immersion Stick Method
Place your ingredients in the small container that came with the immersion stick (or a medium-sized bowl if you don’t have the container).
Immersion Stick A
Ensure immersion stick is fully inserted into the liquid (it should touch the bottom of your container/bowl).
Immersion Stick Process A
Note: you must be certain that the stick is all the way down so the liquid doesn’t fly everywhere.
Immersion Stick Process B
Blend for about 5-8 seconds.
Immersion Stick Process C
Serve and enjoy!
Immersion C

Comments

1. Karla says:

I drink my coffee every morning with 2 TBSP of coconut oil, 2 TBSP of collagen hydrosylate, and stevia. (the collagen provides protein.) Breakfast in a cup! (and yes, definitely needs to be blended, which makes it like a foamy latte)

1. Sarah Kay Hoffman says:

Yes…the secret is in the blending:)

2. Kirk says:

I will have to try this in my Vitamix.

3. Ujjala says:

I love this method of drinking coffee and I also use this method with black teas. Using the coconut oil and or unsweetened butter makes the drink so creamy and delicious without the caffeine spike and no jitters !

4. Lyn says:

I haven’t started doing this, tho knowing of it for over a year. But I am going to try this for the liquid base of my 5:30 am smoothie this winter. That is when I leave for work at a warehouse distribution center and I work hard. I have made a morning smoothie for a year, but now I want to make it warm. I will cool it to 110 degrees after brewing so as not to kill the benefits of what I put into my smoothie but still keep it warm to warm my belly on cold mornings. I will make a few practice runs after work until I get all the timing right to fit preparation of this into my morning along with all the other preparations before leaving.

1. Sarah Kay Hoffman says:

Hi Lyn! Hope it turned out great for you.

2. Patricia Hornyak says:

I have liked smoothies for sometime now, but I find the cold shocks my system, so the idea of a warm smoothie appeals to me. What would you put into a warm smoothie, and how would you make it?

1. The Nutiva Team says:

Hi Patricia, thanks for your question. If you prefer a warmer drink, you could try adding chia seed or hemp protein to your tea, juice, or beverage of choice. For juice recipes visit https://kitchen.nutiva.com/course/beverage/.

5. This is so cool as I already am using Nutiva Coconut Oil 1/2-1tbsp in a fresh brewed cup of freshly ground organic fair trade coffee. Began this in June 2014 to help my mom with Alzheimer’s/dementia get healthy fats, MCT into her to help slow progression of disease, but didn’t think of blending and would never add real butter to coffee. Not necessary here. I sometimes
    Add a few cardamom seeds and grind with coffee beans and brew to aid in digestion and metabolizing fats in the liver too. Gives it a spicier taste. Oh and a tad of coconut milk made from a tbsp of Nutiva Coconut Manna and 12 Oz water blended and used for creamer in the coffee as well as baking or cereal etc. would make it rich and frothy too!

1. Sarah Kay Hoffman says:

Great ideas, Paula! Thank you for sharing.