Coconut Oil: Extra-Virgin or Virgin?

This question still remains popular. Coconut Oil: Extra-Virgin or Virgin?

At Nutiva, our goal has always been to source the purest possible coconut oil and provide you and your family with the freshest and most high-quality product. We have our own quality standard and commitment that we’ve conveyed by using the term “extra virgin” on our labels. However, you’ll notice with our new look, that we are now using the term “virgin” to describe our coconut oil rather than “extra virgin.” Despite this change, our quality commitment and process remain the same.

New_vs_Old

Coconut Oil: Extra-Virgin or Virgin?

• We choose fresh coconuts that meet pre-determined sensory requirements that guarantee the best flavor, scent, and purity.
  • Our virgin coconut oil is cold-pressed from fresh and mature coconut meat; no heat is used.
  • Our virgin coconut oil is in its purest form – unrefined, unbleached and non-deodorized.

This process ensures that the smooth flavor, vital nutrients, and delicate fats are retained.

We embraced the term “extra virgin coconut oil” to distinguish our dedication to the highest quality. In the USA, there is no legal definition or standard for the term, “extra virgin” as it applies to coconut oil. In other countries, however, there are standards of identity regarding the term. For example, in Canada, we have always labeled our same high-quality coconut oil as “organic virgin coconut oil,” to comply with regulations. As Nutiva continues to grow and offer our coconut oil to more countries with varying regulations, we want to create consistency across all our labels. For this reason, we will be using the term “organic virgin coconut oil” going forward, but our high-quality product and processes will remain the same. You will see this change on our new packaging that will appear on shelves in early 2014.

Nutiva Organic Virgin Coconut Oil

Click HERE to save this post for later.

Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil Recipes

Our website is home to many coconut oil recipes. You can search our entire recipe base HERE. Some of our favorite coconut oil recipes include:

Comments

1. Rick says:

So should I be consuming this oil not that it’s not saying extra virgin on bottle and people on here have noticed a different smell/ taste ?

2. rana says:

i want to know whether nutiva organic unrefined coconut oil contains any persevatives like parabens or any others or not

No, just 100% organic unrefined coconut oil!

1. Hello, I bought the 29 fl oz jar of the new label NUTIVA NURTURE VITALITY COCONUT OIL, VIRGIN, I hate it. It is nothing like the extra virgin Nutiva I’v used for years! The reason I looked it up today was to see if there are any household uses for the 29 ozs of this I can’t eat. It’s very hard and no longer spreads on my bread like butter. Each mouthful has many, many small hard granules in it. I bought this from the Warren Better Health Store on September 12, 2016. I bought the big jar because it was on sale. I am crying with disappointment. Yet another change with a new and improved product. Not my favorite any more. The side of my jar reads, “Best Before” 10 Apr 2018/10 Apr 201611C 15:55″. Very sad consumer.

Hi, Kathleen! We will reach out to you.

3. Rose says:

Hi,
    Is your Virgin Coconut Oil hexane-free? I understand that it is cold-pressed, and hexane oil can be used in cold-pressed oil production. Since you are not stating that your oil is hexane-free, does it mean you are using it?
    Also, my understanding is that hand-pressed is the highest standard in coconut oil production. Is your oil hand-pressed?

Hi Rose,
      At Nutiva, we never use hexane (a chemical solvent) to process our products. Conventional coconut oil uses hexane as a solvent to extract up to 10% more oil than simple mechanical pressing.

4. Royston says:

Hi,
    can you tell me what’s the difference between these 2 coconut oil besides the packaging and volume ?

The only difference is the 54oz. is packed in an allergen/peanut-free facility.

5. Jimmy Humphries says:

Where, in Atlanta, Ga. can I buy your oil refined. I would rather not smell coconut on bread, in foods, etc. thanks.

Hi Jimmy,
      Please email help@nutiva.com for product availability inquiries. Thanks!