Coconut Oil: Extra-Virgin or Virgin?

This question still remains popular. Coconut Oil: Extra-Virgin or Virgin?

At Nutiva, our goal has always been to source the purest possible coconut oil and provide you and your family with the freshest and most high-quality product. We have our own quality standard and commitment that we’ve conveyed by using the term “extra virgin” on our labels. However, you’ll notice with our new look, that we are now using the term “virgin” to describe our coconut oil rather than “extra virgin.” Despite this change, our quality commitment and process remain the same.

New_vs_Old

Coconut Oil: Extra-Virgin or Virgin?

• We choose fresh coconuts that meet pre-determined sensory requirements that guarantee the best flavor, scent, and purity.
  • Our virgin coconut oil is cold-pressed from fresh and mature coconut meat; no heat is used.
  • Our virgin coconut oil is in its purest form – unrefined, unbleached and non-deodorized.

This process ensures that the smooth flavor, vital nutrients, and delicate fats are retained.

We embraced the term “extra virgin coconut oil” to distinguish our dedication to the highest quality. In the USA, there is no legal definition or standard for the term, “extra virgin” as it applies to coconut oil. In other countries, however, there are standards of identity regarding the term. For example, in Canada, we have always labeled our same high-quality coconut oil as “organic virgin coconut oil,” to comply with regulations. As Nutiva continues to grow and offer our coconut oil to more countries with varying regulations, we want to create consistency across all our labels. For this reason, we will be using the term “organic virgin coconut oil” going forward, but our high-quality product and processes will remain the same. You will see this change on our new packaging that will appear on shelves in early 2014.

Nutiva Organic Virgin Coconut Oil

Click HERE to save this post for later.

Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil Recipes

Our website is home to many coconut oil recipes. You can search our entire recipe base HERE. Some of our favorite coconut oil recipes include:

Comments

1. fathima says:

Hi! I am in luv wth the coconut oils / gEls. I want 2 promote it in South Africa. How can i get them. Pls rely urgEnt. Thanks .Fathima. Mobile: 0734687403

1. The Nutiva Team says:

Hi Fathima! To purchase our products please visit http://www.iherb.com/nutiva. For distributor information visit https://www.nutiva.com/reselling-international/. Thanks!

2. Sherri says:

I was happy to find your coconut oil in our Costco again as I hadn’t seen it for awhile and was almost out. I noticed the change in labeling and googled the difference between virgin and extra virgin which led me to this sight. Since I still had some left I taste tested side by side and the new one is more mild in coconut flavor, but I totally understand your explanation of agricultural differences. We totally expect this when buying fruit: some oranges, pears, peaches, pineapple, or whatever, just taste sweeter than others. So it stands to reason as your business has expanded and you have added additional suppliers of coconut that they are not all going to taste exactly the same. Love your product and thankyou for providing it at a reasonable price.

3. jack says:

I just received 2 15 oz jars of the Virgin Organic Coconut Oil – is there a correct way to soften this oil for use without it becoming grainy? I purchased another brand last week and was told to heat it to 170 degrees for 20 minutes and then to fast cool in the freezer. – this caused the oil to become very grainy and not pleasant to use on my face, arms etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

1. The Nutiva Team says:

Hi Jack, thanks for your question. We recommend putting the jar in a pot of warm water for 5-10 minutes or until the coconut oil begins to melt (coconut oil melts at 76 degrees).

4. Lee says:

I have to agree with the others, there is a change in the smell and the taste of the “virgin”
    coconut oil and I do believe you have changed something and you are hiding and not willing to share. I am very disappointed and have been looking to find the old product, but it seems to have all but disappeared now. So I am on a mission to find a replacement as I am not at all happy with the new “virigin” oil.

Hi Lee – We are sorry you are not satisfied with your coconut oil. Nothing has changed with the product. We maintain the highest standards with our products now and always. So that we can best assist you, please email help@nutiva.com. Thank you!

5. Rajbir says:

Is this oil available in India.How can I buy it ?

Hi Rajbir! Try: iherb.com/nutiva Thanks!