Coconut Oil: Extra-Virgin or Virgin?

This question still remains popular. Coconut Oil: Extra-Virgin or Virgin?

At Nutiva, our goal has always been to source the purest possible coconut oil and provide you and your family with the freshest and most high-quality product. We have our own quality standard and commitment that we’ve conveyed by using the term “extra virgin” on our labels. However, you’ll notice with our new look, that we are now using the term “virgin” to describe our coconut oil rather than “extra virgin.” Despite this change, our quality commitment and process remain the same.

New_vs_Old

Coconut Oil: Extra-Virgin or Virgin?

• We choose fresh coconuts that meet pre-determined sensory requirements that guarantee the best flavor, scent, and purity.
  • Our virgin coconut oil is cold-pressed from fresh and mature coconut meat; no heat is used.
  • Our virgin coconut oil is in its purest form – unrefined, unbleached and non-deodorized.

This process ensures that the smooth flavor, vital nutrients, and delicate fats are retained.

We embraced the term “extra virgin coconut oil” to distinguish our dedication to the highest quality. In the USA, there is no legal definition or standard for the term, “extra virgin” as it applies to coconut oil. In other countries, however, there are standards of identity regarding the term. For example, in Canada, we have always labeled our same high-quality coconut oil as “organic virgin coconut oil,” to comply with regulations. As Nutiva continues to grow and offer our coconut oil to more countries with varying regulations, we want to create consistency across all our labels. For this reason, we will be using the term “organic virgin coconut oil” going forward, but our high-quality product and processes will remain the same. You will see this change on our new packaging that will appear on shelves in early 2014.

Nutiva Organic Virgin Coconut Oil

Click HERE to save this post for later.

Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil Recipes

Our website is home to many coconut oil recipes. You can search our entire recipe base HERE. Some of our favorite coconut oil recipes include:

Comments

1. Irene says:

I’m sorry, to an oil consumer, there IS a difference.

1. The Nutiva Team says:

Hi Irene. There is no difference between Virgin and Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil. We previously called our coconut oil “extra-virgin” to emphasize our commitment to quality, however as we move into international markets we have removed the term to comply with international regulations that disallow the term. Be assured that our product quality has not changed in any way. Hope this helps!

2. Penny says:

Is your coconut oil Wet-mill fermentation, Heated Virgin Coconut Oil? I understand it needs heat to remove the oil from the coconut milk. Wet-milled the coconut isnt dried before extracting the oil. And the best process nutritionally. I dont understand the wording of cold pressed. Cauld you tell me is Nutiva Wet-milled?

1. The Nutiva Team says:

Hi Penny. Our Virgin Coconut Oil is dry expeller pressed. Fresh coconut meat is ground and conveyed through a hot-air dryer within several hours of shelling, then cold pressed. It is processed at a temperature of under 170 degrees. Thanks!

3. Carole Dubbert says:

I noticed that you don’t list the large containers of coconut oil today. Do you still have them available. I buy two large containers per year. I use your coconut oil in all of my cooking. It is so delicious on toast and oatmeal; oh well, it is just wonderful on everything.

1. The Nutiva Team says:

Hi Carole! What size of coconut oil are you looking for? Thanks!

4. CG Archer says:

I am on my last tub of Nutiva extra-virgin with the yellow lable. I was ready to buy another one and saw it didn’t say Extra Virgin and the label had changed. I have read the comments on here that the taste has also changed with the change from Extra-virgin to Virgin. I am not convinced by your canned response that I am still going to be getting the same product I have been getting. I have been using your product for years. I will know if taste is different.

1. The Nutiva Team says:

Hi CG! Thank you for you comments. As we’ve stated previously, our packaging has changed but our product has not. The most possible cause for any slight flavor differences is normal agricultural variation. Coconut oil is a single ingredient product where the flavor is going to reflect the exact coconuts it was made from. Like any agricultural product, the flavor will fluctuate based on seasons and and even the geography of where the nut was grown. If you have any additional questions are comments, we encourage you to contact help@nutiva.com. Thanks so much!

5. Nicole says:

Hi,
    After reading these comments as well as other reviews on other websites, I can understand the confusion as well. I’m still confused. I’ve purchased the Nutiva Extra Virgin Coconut oil in the 54 oz container for probably 6-7 years now. Big fan of this oil. My understanding years ago, was that the term “Extra Virgin” meant that the coconut was the least amount of processed and unrefined to get the coconut oil vs. the kind labeled “Virgin”. Is Nutiva stating that there is NO change in the processing & quality of their oil previously labeled “Extra Virgin” and “Virgin”? That they are the same with just a new label? Because if that is true, there should be no change in the smell, the temp it melts and so forth. From some of the responses and reviews I’ve read, it seems like the newly labeled “Virgin” coconut oil is not quite the same as before. I’m willing to give a smaller container of the newly labeled “Virgin” coconut oil a try, but if there is a difference, I’m sorry to say you will probably lose a faithful customer.

1. The Nutiva Team says:

Hi Nicole, thanks for your comment! You’re exactly right–just the label on our Virgin Coconut Oil has changed, not the contents. Our coconut oil is still processed in the same way and still adheres to our strict quality standards. Please note that we do also make a Refined Coconut Oil, which has a neutral smell and taste. We encourage you to contact help@nutiva.com with any additional questions or comments. Thanks again!