Coconut Oil: Extra-Virgin or Virgin?

This question still remains popular. Coconut Oil: Extra-Virgin or Virgin?

At Nutiva, our goal has always been to source the purest possible coconut oil and provide you and your family with the freshest and most high-quality product. We have our own quality standard and commitment that we’ve conveyed by using the term “extra virgin” on our labels. However, you’ll notice with our new look, that we are now using the term “virgin” to describe our coconut oil rather than “extra virgin.” Despite this change, our quality commitment and process remain the same.

New_vs_Old

Coconut Oil: Extra-Virgin or Virgin?

• We choose fresh coconuts that meet pre-determined sensory requirements that guarantee the best flavor, scent, and purity.
  • Our virgin coconut oil is cold-pressed from fresh and mature coconut meat; no heat is used.
  • Our virgin coconut oil is in its purest form – unrefined, unbleached and non-deodorized.

This process ensures that the smooth flavor, vital nutrients, and delicate fats are retained.

We embraced the term “extra virgin coconut oil” to distinguish our dedication to the highest quality. In the USA, there is no legal definition or standard for the term, “extra virgin” as it applies to coconut oil. In other countries, however, there are standards of identity regarding the term. For example, in Canada, we have always labeled our same high-quality coconut oil as “organic virgin coconut oil,” to comply with regulations. As Nutiva continues to grow and offer our coconut oil to more countries with varying regulations, we want to create consistency across all our labels. For this reason, we will be using the term “organic virgin coconut oil” going forward, but our high-quality product and processes will remain the same. You will see this change on our new packaging that will appear on shelves in early 2014.

Nutiva Organic Virgin Coconut Oil

Click HERE to save this post for later.

Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil Recipes

Our website is home to many coconut oil recipes. You can search our entire recipe base HERE. Some of our favorite coconut oil recipes include:

Comments

1. Stephanie says:

I love your virgin coconut oil, it is amazing and makes me feel better. I also love the glass containers you use. I like to keep them and use them for different things like storage containers. So awesome!!! 🙂

1. The Nutiva Team says:

Hi Stephanie, that’s a great way to recycle the coconut oil containers! Thanks for your support!

2. padma says:

So is the oil really extra virgin like how they say extra virgin olive oil?

1. The Nutiva Team says:

Hi Padma. Our coconut oil is virgin. Please note that there is NO difference between Virgin and Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil. We previously used the term “extra-virgin” to emphasize our commitment to quality, however, as a leader in coconut oil, Nutiva is committed to complying with global regulations that do not allow the term “extra-virgin” in regard to coconut. When you see the term Virgin on our packaging, rest assured that the product is still the highest quality and has not changed. Thanks!

1. Kathy says:

Are you saying it is the same oil in the new packaging? And that we are still getting the same oil we used to get that said “extra” virgin on the label? I’ve used your oil for a long time and the oil in the new packaging tastes and smells quite different to me, as well as a couple of my friends who have also used it long-term. It is most noticeable on popcorn and when used for oil pulling. Please explain, as it just doesn’t seem like the same oil now.

1. The Nutiva Team says:

Hi Kathy! There is no difference between Virgin and Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil. We previously called our coconut oil “extra-virgin” to emphasize our commitment to quality, however as we move into international markets we have removed the term to comply with international regulations that disallow the term. Be assured that our product quality has not changed in any way. If you have any concerns pertaining to the quality of the coconut oil, please contact help@nutiva.com so our customer service team can resolve any issues. Thanks so much!

2. Jeri says:

You didn’t answer her question. She didn’t ask you if there was a difference between virgin and extra virgin, she asked you if the oil is the same now as it was before. Not if the quality is the same, not if your commitment is the same, but if the oil is the same.
          Is the oil itself exactly the same as when it said “extra virgin”, or not? It’s a very simple yes or no question.

3. The Nutiva Team says:

Hi Jeri! Our coconut oil is now labeled “virgin” instead of “extra virgin” but is still the same oil–our quality commitment and process have not changed. Thanks!

4. leagree says:

Kathy…I emailed Nutiva with the same complaint. The new glass jar Nutiva coconut oil does not taste the same as the old version that I just ran out of. I received a response stating that maybe I bought the extra refined oil. I looked all over my new bottle…there was nothing that said whether it was extra refined or other. This new coconut oil does not have the richness of smell or taste as the Nutiva coconut oil that I have always bought…soothing is ‘not right’ with this company because they are not giving straight answers. Terrible loss for committed buyers…looks like I’m going to have to try other brands.

5. The Nutiva Team says:

Hi Leagree. There is no difference between Virgin and Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil. We previously called our coconut oil “extra-virgin” to emphasize our commitment to quality, however as we move into international markets we have removed the term to comply with international regulations that disallow the term. Be assured that our product quality has not changed in any way. We encourage you to contact help@nutiva.com with any additional questions or comments regarding your recent purchase of our Virgin Coconut Oil. Thank you!

6. Lisa says:

I completely agree with you. I just received my newest jar of the Virgin coconut oil and when I opened it, I didn’t get that fresh smell of coconuts that I usually get and the taste isn’t as fresh tasting as it was before. I opened my other jar of ” extra virgin ” nutiva coconut oil and it still smells and tastes like fresh coconuts . Needless to say I am not very happy this time. Not sure what do do at this point .

Hi Lisa – We are sorry you are not happy with the product. So that we can better assist you, please reach out to our customer service team at help@nutiva.com so they can help you.

8. Lisa Sparkman says:

I am interested in the answer to this as well. I used to purchase the “Extra virgin “coconut oil and loved the fact that it tasted like fresh coconuts! I bought a new container with the new labeling “virgin coconut oil” and it barely tastes like coconut at all. I have never repurchased from Nutiva again. I miss the fresh rich coconut flavor and the way it smelled was heavenly. Not so much anymore. :-(. I want my old Nutiva coconut oil flavor back. I do still have a tiny amount from my old jar and I’ve compared the old and the new. There IS DEFINITELY A DIFFERENCE.

We’re sorry to hear this, Lisa. We hope you give our Organic Virgin Coconut Oil a try again. If you find you are unhappy you can always reach out to our customer service team by emailing help@nutiva.com.

10. Cheryl Lewis says:

It’s happening with all products everywhere. It’s obvious their process is the same but the quality of coconuts and the speed with which they’re processed before they start to mold has changed. There’s nothing we can do about ii, except find another brand, with the new found knowledge that virgin means extra virgin in the world market. China owns us now, for the most part.

3. Nancy says:

I use your coconut oil everyday and love it. My only request is that you begin using glass jars for the 54 ounce jars instead of plastic. I would feel much better getting my oil from glass from both a health perspective and an environmental perspective. I would reuse them if they were glass or at least feel better about the glass actually getting recycled if I didn’t keep them. Thanks so much.

1. The Nutiva Team says:

Hi Nancy, thank you for your suggestion. While our plastic containers are BPA free, we also offer our 15oz and 23oz Virgin Coconut Oil in glass containers. Thanks!

4. Bree says:

I just bought nutiva coconut oil at Costco, I do not see the non gmo label on it, and was wondering if it is?
    also is the container bpa free?
    Thanks
    Bree

1. The Nutiva Team says:

Hi Bree! All Nutiva products and organic and Non-GMO. Our PET plastic containers are also BPA free. Thanks!

1. Bree says:

Thank you!

5. Tom says:

I have just been introduced to Coconut oil (not your brand) which I bought from a health food store (SF Health Foods). Is your product available in Australia? When choosing my purchase I decided to get the Extra virgin Organic Coconut Oil because it appeared much more opaque and solidified compared to the virgin ones on offer which were clearer and showing base material at the bottom of the jar. The product is certified Organic Coconut Oil from Sri Lanka. It also carries inspected and certified labels from Australia (processor 244P), USDA Organic (CU816015) and Non EU Agriculture (CU816015LK-BIO-605). OK so after all that, am I getting a very good product given that it is sold as Extra Virgin and appears richer ?

1. The Nutiva Team says:

Hi Tom. To purchase Nutiva products in Australia, please visit http://www.iherb.com/nutiva. Please note that there is no difference between Virgin and Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil. We previously called our coconut oil “extra-virgin” to emphasize our commitment to quality, however as we move into international markets we have removed the term to comply with international regulations that disallow the term. Be assured that our product quality has not changed in any way. Thank you!