A thick, creamy coconut icing, great for cakes and whoopie pies. With low glycemic index coconut sugar!
- 1-1/2 cups Organic Coconut Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup Water (hot)
- 5 Egg Whites
- 1/2 tsp Coconut Extract
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1-1/2 cups Coconut (grated fresh)
- Combine in a heavy saucepan sugar, cream of tartar, salt and hot water.
- Cook and stir constantly over medium heat until sugar is dissolved, and the mixture becomes clear. Continue cooking without stirring until syrup reaches the soft-ball stage (238-240 degrees) on a candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat and immediately begin beating egg white in a bowl until soft peaks form. Continue beating and add the syrup slowly to the egg whites.
- Add coconut and vanilla extracts and continue beating until stiff peaks form and frosting is thick enough to spread.
- Frost between layers, sides and top. Sprinkle coconut between layer and on top.
Related Recipes You might be interested in...