Chia Coconut Strawberry Shortcake
A new twist on an old favorite, this recipe is a more grown up – healthy strawberry shortcake dessert, made with Nutiva Organic chia and coconut products.
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 heaping tbsp Organic Chia Seed
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 3 tbsp (+1-2 tbsp extra to sprinkle on top) Organic Coconut Sugar
- 1 stick Butter (cubed and chilled)
- 2/3 cup Milk (+ a little extra to drizzle on top)
- 1 container (8 oz) Mascarpone Cheese
- 3 1/2 tbsp Organic Coconut Sugar
- 1 tbsp Half & Half
- 1 container (16oz) Strawberries (fresh, sliced)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Slice Strawberries and chill *note – you can add a few tablespoons of sugar to the berries if you like a bit of a syrup. I prefer my berries firmer and juice free so I do not add the sugar*
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, chia seeds, salt and 3 tbsp sugar.
- Cut in butter, until small “peas” form.
- Slowly add the milk. You want the dough to just come together.
- Let rest for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour dough out onto lightly floured surface. Gently knead until the dough holds together and is not overly sticky.
- Pat into a 1/2-3/4 inch rectangle. Cut into squares or use a floured round biscuit cutter to cut. You will get about 8 biscuits total, depending on how large you cut them.
- Place onto a buttered baking sheet. Brush tops lightly with remaining milk, sprinkle with coconut sugar.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown and slightly risen. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- While the biscuits bake, combine mascarpone cheese, half & half, and sugars in a medium bowl.
- Whisk until slightly fluffy and well combined. Chill while biscuits cook and cool.
- Assemble by placing cream and berry mixture on top of biscuits. Enjoy!!
Related Recipes You might be interested in...